Home Uncategorized 5 Ways to Prevent Shock From Light Switch

5 Ways to Prevent Shock From Light Switch




Light switches are prone to causing static shocks, especially during dry winters. People often end up either touching the metal screws on switches which becomes a source of shocks.


Static electric shocks are formed on the surface of objects specifically during dry and less humid seasons. It happens when electrons move from one medium to another through contact. The contact can be either humans, pets, fabrics, or even small objects like plastic combs, toys, etc. People having carpet flooring at their houses are more likely to receive such shocks from electrical switches. Although these shocks are not extremely dangerous. But they can be annoying and irritating at the time. 

To prevent yourself from getting zapped from light switches, here are 5 easy ways that may help you. 

Home upgrade: using a humidifier and treating carpets

Winters mostly are dry and less humid. So, the moisture content in the air is automatically less. As the weather does not seem to be friendly, we need to try on our own to make it our friend. Indoor heating systems and air conditioning reduce the moisture content in the air. Giving back some moisture to the air can help in such cases.

Devices such as humidifiers must be installed at homes to prevent charge formation on surfaces. Humidifiers are inexpensive devices; you may find them at any local store or an electronics store. They can balance out the moisture content of the air, helping to attain the desired humidity level. Humidifiers would keep your room moisturized and will prevent the formation of charge on static surfaces. This will also help maintain the moisture content of your skin and keep you safe from static shocks. 

Humidifiers are easy to install, you just buy them for under $30 and install it by yourself, putting a nail on the wall. They are small compact devices, which look good aesthetically as well.

Having carpeted floors at home instead of wood puts you at a greater risk for static shocks. Electric charges tend to form on the carpet surface. When you walk bare-footed and encounter electric switches or plugs, you may get a static shock. Some measures can be taken to make your carpet less conductive.

Rubbing fabric softener sheets over the carpet can prevent the buildup of static electricity. Although this might be required over regular intervals still can be effective. Doing so probably once a week can be helpful.

Placing rugs or anti-static mats over areas where you walk frequently or spend most of your time. Cotton fabric is less likely to conduct electricity, hence preventing you from getting a static shock.

Using dryer sheets or fabric softeners

Synthetic materials as the name says are prone to static charge formation. Wearing synthetic clothes can put you at the risk of getting a static shock when dealing with electrical switches. To avoid them, you may either change your clothing preference or use rubber-soled shoes.

Rubber Shoes

Rubber is a powerful insulator, wearing rubber shoes is a perfect remedy to avoid getting static shocks. They will act as electrical resistors, and in case you come in contact with electrical charges, you will not get that zap.

Wet washing your clothes and then drying them can generate static electricity in your clothes. When you wear those clothes, you may be carrying static charges on your clothes surface on the move. Using electrical switches wearing such clothes might give you a little surprise. 

Using dryer sheets or fabric softeners can balance the electrons with positively charged ions while drying. This not only prevents the clothes from clinging together but also prevents the risk of getting static shocks.

Keep your skin moisturized with hand lotion

Dry skin is the favorite playground of static charges. Specifically, hands because we use them to interact with switches and plugs. Using a moisturized can come in handy in dry and winter seasons. Moisturizing lotion can be bought in just a few dollars, using that can prevent you from getting a static shock. If you are traveling or at work, you can use a travel-sized lotion on the go and keep your hands moisturized. A sanitizer can also come in handy when you do not have any lotion around. 

For women, wearing silk lining or leggings, it is recommended to moisturize your legs before wearing such clothes to avoid static charge formation. 

Get anti-static wristbands

Anti-Static Wristbands


Wristbands are in fashion these days. Some manufacturers have made some great looking, colorful anti-static wristbands. Products like these can save you from getting a static shock and add another star to your fashion statement. If changing your clothing preferences and shoes is not feasible, you may invest in an anti-static wristband.

Static shock bands operate on a technology called “Passive Ionization”. There are conductive fibers found in the bracelet that flow off the strings and into your wrist. This causes a reduction in the voltage in your body, hence minimizing the risk of static shocks. Static shock bracelets are relatively inexpensive. You can get them in just under $20. There are many brands associated with the manufacturing of these bands. Moreover, you may also find some fitness bands with anti-static technologies.

Look for anti-static coating sprays


Anti-static coating sprays are products used to spray over clothes and fabrics. They form a moisturizing layer over the surface of any fabric or clothes you wear. Doing so can help reduce the risk of getting a static shock if you are using any electrical switch or appliance. 

Where can I get an anti-static spray?

Now you might be thinking, what an anti-static spray is and where to find it? The answer is simple, you can get it at any local department store or a DIY/Hardware store. Anti-static sprays are cheap. You can find one is just under $10. There are different brands and sometimes you might get two spray cans for the price of one.

If you’re not willing to spend some extra money. Here’s a DIY tutorial for you to make your own anti-static spray at home. 

Things you need:

  • 1 Tablespoon Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol)
  • 1 Tablespoon Fabric Softener (any brand)
  • 8 oz. Water
  • A Spray Bottle to keep and store the solution.


All you need to do is, start with taking 8 oz. water in a spray bottle. Pour in all the ingredients, mix well and your own DIY Anti-Static Spray is ready to be used. 

Prevent from light shock

Static Defense's Mission

Our Mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.

Recent posts

Recent comments