Microwave ovens come in use almost daily at home or work. You might be using it to heat food or cook some 5-minute meals or popping the popcorns. Microwave ovens are devices that use microwaves to heat your food. The closed container has steel plates, which produce waves to heat food. Being an electrical appliance, dealing with high voltages and currents, microwave ovens are sealed and carefully designed devices with high measures of safety.
Sometimes, while dealing with a microwave oven, you may get a static shock. These static shocks are a result of poor safety features or negligence on your end. The following are a few possible reasons for a microwave oven to give you a zap.
- The microwave oven is not properly grounded.
- The oven is kept at a damp place.
- The wire insulation is torn and or touching the ground.
- You might have touched the metal part near the door housing.
- You must be having dry (statically charged) skin while handling the oven.
- Your clothes or shoes would be charged statically.
- You might be touching some other statically active material.
There can be several other reasons which could lead you to a static shock. Hence to avoid such surprises, here are 6 tips for you to prevent static shocks from touching metal.
1. Keep the Microwave Grounded
Keeping the microwave oven at a properly insulated surface can lower the risk of getting static shocks. The surface should be non-metallic and dry. Keeping the oven at damp places can not only increase the risk of static shocks but may cause severe electric shocks which can be dangerous or fatal. The microwave oven work at high voltages hence it is recommended to use it with care and take all safety precautions.
In case you have placed your microwave oven in a trim kit. It is recommended to use a properly aerated one. This way you can avoid the risk of getting static shocks.
Static shocks are more frequent in dry environments such as winters. You need to place your appliances at a dry and humid place to let you avoid static shocks. For your kitchen, you may use a humidifier too. So that when you are working in the kitchen, your skin remains hydrated with enough moisture to prevent you from static shocks. Humidifiers will not cost you more than $10 but really is a wise investment for dry seasons.
2. Get an Anti-Static Wristbands
Anti-static wristbands are wearable devices that you can wear them on your wrist and avoid getting static shocks. With just a small investment of less than $10, you can prevent yourself from static shocks.
Anti-Static wristbands work on the technology of passive ionization. These bands have fibres made of conductive material. Through your wrist, the fibres flow electrons into your body to reduce voltage levels in your body flowing through your wrist, hence making you less prone to static shocks.
With such a little investment, you can avoid static shocks and these bands come in aesthetically beautiful designs, which surely will look good on you.
3. Be Careful with Your Clothing
Clothing does play a role in increasing or decreasing static shocks. There are certain types of fabrics which are good at conducting electricity and should be avoided. Such fabrics which include synthetic materials like polyester tend to attract more static charges. Wearing such materials should be avoided. Socks or sweaters made with wool fabric are also prone to static charge formation and can lead to static shocks. Using cotton instead can be helpful.
Static electricity is a result of contact between two materials. Sometimes while you walk, you might be getting charged and upon contact with any metal service, you may get zapped. Now, this seems ridiculous, but your shoes could be one of the many reasons for this.
Your shoes could be that medium which may be getting charged when you walk. It interacts with fabrics and other surfaces and ultimately creates an imbalance of electrons in your body when you encounter any metal surface. Certain types of shoes can reduce the risk of shock.
Rubber, for example, is a powerful insulator. If you have carpeted floors at home or office, wearing rubber-soled shoes can you put at a greater risk of static shocks? Using leather-soled shoes can decrease this. Wool is also a good conductor and can rub against fabrics to generate a static charge. So, at home opt for cotton socks to avoid static shocks.
4. Using a Coin
A simple way to avoid static shocks is to keep touching some metal frequently. You may also keep wearing an anti-static band. In case you do not have one, you can have some metal to touch. Doing so may allow you to diffuse the charges that have formed over your skin surface. One simple way is to use a coin to play with. Using a coin or a metal object can be helpful while handling metal objects such as a microwave oven. You may first touch the microwave oven using a coin or a metal piece so that the static charges can get diffused. Then you may operate the microwave oven. The same remedy can be helpful while handling car doors, light switches, or other metal objects of such nature.
5. Use A Moisturizer
Since static shocks are more common in dry weather. Keeping yourself moisturized can help prevent such shocks. Static charges find their place more frequently over dry skins surfaces. To avoid such formation, you always need to keep your skin moisturized.
For such purposes, you may use a moisturizing lotion or petroleum jelly. You can get one with different compositions at any cosmetics or local store. It is always best to keep one handy for use. Be sure not to apply touch much so that your skin gets wet and be prone to electric shocks.
6. Use Microwave Safe Gloves
To avoid shocks and prevent your skin from the heat. It is recommended to wear microwave-safe gloves. In this way, you can be safe for two things. Microwave safe gloves are available at any local store. You can get them for less than $2. Make sure to use cotton fabric gloves and the less fancy ones. As the extra cloth might get stuck in door hinges and cause you trouble.